Fraud Blocker

The Ultimate Guide to Military Spouse Education Programs (MYCAA)

Estimated reading time: 3 minutes

Being a military spouse can be a challenge in more ways than one. Not only are 21 percent of active-duty military spouses facing unemployment, but they also feel at the time that their circumstances may hinder their ability to achieve an education.

If you’re looking for a way to get your associate degree or college certificate despite the everyday challenges of being an active duty military spouse, keep reading for your guide to military spouse education programs.

Military Spouse Education Programs (MYCAA)

There are many programs to choose from to help you succeed in your education.

The Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA) is a program that rewards up to $4,000 of assistance.

The catch is it has to be a “portable” career field. It has to be easily transferable no matter where you or your spouse will be stationed.

Good examples are:

  • Accounting
  • Sales
  • Web design
  • Grant writing
  • Nutrition

There are many portable career fields to choose from and speaking to an admissions representative could be a good first step.

Post 9/11 G.I. Bill®

The most commonly cited military spouse benefit is the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill®, even though it has quite a few strings attached and isn’t as easy to access as some others.

In order for the military spouse to be allowed to use a G.I. Bill® for his or her education, the provider has to have served at least six years and be promised to serve four more, and must also be currently serving at that time.

Military Spouse Grants and Scholarships

There are several scholarship and grant opportunities offered for those looking for military spouse training.

Not only do individual states have their own scholarship programs, but each branch of the military also provides some kind of funding to spouses pursuing higher education. It is recommended you contact your military branch for more information on the funding sources available.

U.S. Army

The U.S. Army provides the Spouse Education Assistance Program for those who want an undergraduate degree and who are dependents of active duty, retired, or deceased soldiers. A 2.0 GPA must be maintained.

U.S. Navy-Marine Corp

The U.S Navy-Marine Corp Society provides assistance to families of service members killed in the line of duty and is awarded based on financial need.

Air Force

The Air Force has the General Henry H. Arnold Education Grant available for eligible dependents of active duty, active reserve, and deceased service members. This grant rewards up to $4,000 based on financial need but is highly competitive.

Online Programs for Military Spouse Training

Active duty life can be hectic, and staying in the same place long enough to finish a degree program isn’t always easy. That’s why you should look into an online program with InterCoast.

InterCoast offers the flexibility of distance learning while still being able to get the degree or certificate you desire. View our Associate degrees and certificate programs that will fit into your military spouse education program.

Don’t hesitate, fill out this form for more training program information or call us if you have questions.

5 1 vote
Article Rating
Notify of

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Amy Winters
Amy Winters
5 years ago

My best friend has decided to re-enlist for another six years so that she could give her post 9/11 GI bill to her daughter. As I was reading your article, I like how you explain how that bill works for a military spouse, and I assume this is the same for their children too. I assume that they can also be used for an online university.

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x